Work and live abroad is a complete resource for those wanting to work abroad or live abroad. We provide overseas job openings, immigration information, legal advice and country guides.
Receive updates on working and living abroad
Study Abroad

Jun 13, 2004
Visa Focus: US Student Visas and Exchange Student Visa
Email this article

The J-1 visa is used primarily as an exchange program and not necessarily for students. But most of the time, those who benefit from exchange programs are students who study in US. This visa is for the non-immigrants to come to the U.S. for: teaching, studying, researching, consulting, demonstrating special skills or receiving training.


Requirements For a J-1 Visa

  • Sufficient funds to cover all expenses or a sponsoring organization
  • The required education for the particular program
  • A good understanding of the English language
  • Employment to 20 hours/ week while school is in session
  • Refrain from off-campus employment without authorization
  • Maintain required health insurance If any of the changes are not followed and
  •     permission for an exception has not been granted, the student will be considered "out

        of status" and in violation of visa obligations. There are two possibilities for


  • application to the INS
  • leaving the country and re-entering with a new IAP-66. It is very important to remain
  •     in status to avoid difficulties in the future. It makes possible employment, transfer of

        prgram and academic training. All of thse will not be possible if you are out of status.


    Requirements For a J-2 Visa

  • Spouses and minor children of J-1 eligible
  • IAP-66 as well as other basic documentation to be submitted;
  • Demonstrate sufficient financial resources to support themselves


    In case the J-1 visa holder have to stay longer than what is indicated at his.her IAP-66, he/she must inform the RO to document the reason.



    Participants in programs which provide for on-the-job training, teaching, research, or other activities which involve paid employment may accept such employment. Participants in programs which do not involve work may not accept outside employment. Dependents may apply to the BCIS for authorization to accept employment in the U.S.

    Reader Comments
    Add your own comment >>