Work and live abroad is a complete resource for those wanting to work abroad or live abroad. We provide overseas job openings, immigration information, legal advice and country guides.
Receive updates on working and living abroad
Live Abroad

Aug 6, 2010
How to Live and Work in Austria
Email this article


Austria is one of the most powerful countries in the world and one of the youngest members of the European Union. Austria is a small country in central Europe. Its location is surrounded by giant European countries such as Germany and Czech Republic to the north, Slovakia and Hungary to the east, Slovenia and Italy to the south, and Switzerland and Liechtenstein to the west.


Basic Information:


Capital: Vienna

Area: 83,872 km

Language: German


Application for Resident Visa (EU Citizen)


All European Union citizens can stay in Austria not longer than 3 months without visa, work and live permit.

·       For those who want to stay in Austria longer than 3 months must apply for an EWR- Lichtbildausweis, a special card which will allow you to stay in the country for longer period of time, 6 months for unemployed and 5 years for employed.

·       Upon arrival in Austria, one should register his/her name at a local police station district’s registration office.


Application for Resident Visa (Non-EU Citizen)


Non-EU members have more steps and procedures to go through before getting a permit. Procedure usually starts in your country. For easier procedure, you must search for an employer in Austria who would make your applications a lot easier.


Visas in Austria


·       Travel Visa (C- Visa)- This is issued to those who wants to tour or visit Austria not longer than 3 months.

- 1 passport - size photo

- Valid passport (minimum 6 months)

- Travel ticket or booking confirmation

- Confirmation of hotel booking or invitation

- Proof of sufficient funds

- Proof of health insurance for the duration of your stay

Class D visa

This is a visa especially for Austria. It is issued for a maximum 6-month stay. With the class D visa you can travel through other Schengen countries – but only for 5 days in order to reach Austria. You have to contact the Austrian consulate in your country of residence to acquire the visa.

Reader Comments
I want to live and work in austria.. - Hilandrious Jonnah Rojas Bechaida
I want to live and work in austria together with m - Hilandrious Jonnah Rojas Bechaida
sir i want to live in austria. - Ishfaq
Add your own comment >>