Work and live abroad is a complete resource for those wanting to work abroad or live abroad. We provide overseas job openings, immigration information, legal advice and country guides.
Receive updates on working and living abroad
Live Abroad

May 15, 2009
Living in Macau
- Angelica Cruz Email this article


Macau is one of the two Special Administrative Region (SAR) of China aside from Hong Kong that mainly became one of the tourist destination and work haven for foreign immigrants.


Macau is famous for its luxurious hotels and casinos and state of the art attractions which became a tourist destination. Macau is a rich small city in China that offers good quality of life to all Macanese and other foreigners who work and live here.


How to Live in Macau


Before going to Macau, one should have a Macau visa except for the following countries:

  • For 6 months stay- UK nationals


  • For 90 days stay- Residents from All European Union countries, Egypt, Andorra, Iceland, Israel, Korea (Rep), Lebanon, Norway, Romania and Tanzania


  • For 30 days stay- Residents from USA, Philippines, Australia, Brazil, Canada, New Zealand, Chile, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Namibia, Samoa, Seychelles, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey and Uruguay. Nationals of China (PR) with valid Macau entry/departure documents, including residents of Hong Kong (SAR), Taiwan (China) and overseas Chinese


  • For 1 year stay- Holders of a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKIC) or Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card or those with a Hong Kong Re-entry Permit.


Blue Card

If you wish to work and prolong your stay in Macau, you should obtain to have a work permit also known as “blue card”. It is also advisable to look for an employer right before you move to Macau to avoid processing too many transactions. Blue card processing would take about 3-6 months after you have filed your working permit.


Temporary Residence Permit

To be eligible to reside in Macau, an expatriate should apply for a temporary residence permit to the IPIM (Macau Trade and Investment Promotion Institute). You can also start processing temporary residence permit while you wait for your blue card since the blue card processing would take some time.


Make an appointment to the IPIM officer, they will provide interview and screening before they give you the Gabinete Juridico e de Fixacao de Residencia that will ensure that you are qualified to get a temporary residence visa. The paper will also be submitted in the immigration office of Macau along with the following document.


  • Passport – will also serve as your proof of residency)
  • Departure card – one copy
  • Non-resident worker card – one copy
  • Birth certificate – one copy
  • Police criminal declaration
    • From country of origin (original)
    • If you previously had work permit or temporary residencies permit in Macau
  • One set of original fingerprints
  • Photos – 5 black and white or color photos; print your name on the back of 4 of the photos
  • Proof of marriage – one copy
  • Employment contract – one copy; should include all of the following:
    • employment period, remuneration, name of post
    • It is very important that the contract will take effect according to the date where temporary residence is granted to the applicant.
  • Main description of job and duties, proof of education certificates and resume.
  • Proof of professional qualifications
  • Certificate of commercial registration of organization employing or offering employment to the applicant
  • If applicant currently working in said position, Individual Professional Tax receipt should be submitted
  • Job description (must be separate from employment contract)


Living in Macau as an illegal alien is punishable by law, if you wish to prolong your stay in Macau process a blue card and temporary residence permit as early before you get deported and get blacklisted by the immigration office.



Reader Comments (Most recent of 16 reader comments.)
A few years ago I'd have to pay someone for this i - Kenisha
Hello I wanna to go macau for work i heard that - Balraj Singh
Hi dear am from pakistan. Am going to macau soon. - Sher Muhammad
What are the law of macau to the people handling t - Rowena De Guzman
my fiancee is in macau how can i have blue card th - Stephanie
Add your own comment >>