Work and live abroad is a complete resource for those wanting to work abroad or live abroad. We provide overseas job openings, immigration information, legal advice and country guides.
Receive updates on working and living abroad
Live Abroad

Feb 18, 2008
Get your Chinese Visa Now!
- Maria Theresa S. Samante Email this article

Do you want to experience life in the third largest country in the world?


China, the world’s oldest living civilization, is where you can find the world’s driest dessert and highest mountain and where the only structure visible when you are in the moon lays, The Great Wall of China. So what are you waiting for, get your visa and take a tour in China now! 


Chinese Visa

The types of Chinese visa issued by the authorities to foreigners who want to enter in China are Diplomatic, Courtesy, Service or Ordinary Visa. Visas issued by the authorities are according to the status, purpose of visit or passport type.


Visa are not required for foreigners holding final destination tickets and have booked seats on international airliners flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours without leaving the airport.


Nationalities of the Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, are not required to have a visa provided that they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours.


Nationalities from Singapore ,Brunei and Japan who hold ordinary passport and want to visit China for up to 15 days for business, sightseeing, visiting relatives and friends or transit are not required to have a visa.


Service or Ordinary Visa

The Ordinary Visa is divided into eight sub-categories which is marked with Chinese phonetic letters accordingly; C, D, F G, J-1, J-2, L, X and Z.


General Requirements

v      Passport with at least six months validity and black visa pages

v      Fully filled out visa application form

v      One 2x2 photo


Employment/Work (Z) Visa

The Employment/Work Visa is issued to an alien who comes to China to work. Aside from the general requirements mention above, you must also present:

v      a visa notification issued by the authorized Chinese unit, and a Work Permit for Aliens issued by the Chinese Labor Ministry/ Foreign Expert's License issued by the Chinese Foreign Expert Bureau.


The Z visa is valid for one entry, for three months only. The holder of a Z visa shall go through residential formalities in the local public security department within 30 days of entry into China.


Visa fee and processing time

US citizens pay $100 while $30 non-US citizens. Additional $30 will be charged for express service for 1 working day processing (these are applications made before 11:30 am may be picked up between 2:30 pm-3:00 pm on the same day), or $20 for 2-3 working days processing will be charged.


Applicants are requested to by Visa, MasterCard, Money Order, Cashier's Check, Company Check or Cash. Personal checks are not acceptable. Please make the check or money order payable to Chinese Embassy.


Crew (C) Visa

The Crew Visa is issued to crewmembers who perform duties on board in an international train, airliner or other vessel, and their accompanying family members. Aside from the general requirements mention above, you must also present:

v      formal application letter from the airline or shipping company

v      original and photocopy of company ID


Visa Fee

Number of Entry/Entries

U. S. Citizen

Third Country Citizen







6 Months Multiple



1-2 Year Multiple




Payment shall be made at the Chinese Embassy if you applied at the Chinese Embassy or to Chinese Consulate-General if the application is submitted to a Chinese Consulate-General.


Validity and Duration of Stay

The number of days allowable for stay in China is stated at the application form which is normally 10 days only. Staying more than 10 days needs approval from the consul. A single entry visa is valid for 3 months, and a double entry visa is valid for 6 months.


Resident (D) Visa

The D Visa is issued to an alien who comes to reside permanently in China. Aside from the general requirements mentioned above, you are also required to submit:

v      Residence Approval Certificate issued by the Chinese public security bureau. The applicant may entrust his or her relatives within China to apply for this certificate with the said authority.

v      A Physical Examination Certificate for Foreign Citizen.


Visa fee and processing time

US citizens pay $100 while $30 non-US citizens.

The regular processing time is 4 working days.

  Page  1 2

Related Articles
Reader Comments
Add your own comment >>