Work and live abroad is a complete resource for those wanting to work abroad or live abroad. We provide overseas job openings, immigration information, legal advice and country guides.
Receive updates on working and living abroad
Live Abroad

Jan 7, 2008
Visa Application in the Red Wine Country: Spain
- Maria Theresa S. Samante Email this article

Spanish visa

General Requirements for Spain Visas

Investors and Self-employment Visa

Student Visa for Spain

Work-exempt Visa for Spain

Retirement Visa

Non-lucrative Visa

Family Reunification Visa for Spain


Spain is known as the Red Wine Country and is famous with many fiestas that usually last for several days and is repeated annually. The country is popular for beautiful beaches which can be found in different cities.


Well, before you can experience the celebration of different fiestas and explore beautiful beaches in Spain, you must be holding proper documents so you can legally enter here. Worry no more since this article would give you a brief guide with what you need in securing a Spanish visa.


Spanish Visa

Citizens from European Union member countries do not need visa to enter in Spain provided that they are holding a valid passport or ID. While those nationalities who came from other parts of the world must have a visa aside from their passport if they want to stay in Spain for more than three months (90 days).


Spanish visa has six types: retirement visa, student visa, investors and self-employment visa work-exempt visa and family reunification visa. The person who wishes to work in Spain must have the permission from the Ministry of Labor. The visa should be applied either applicants’ presence or by any legal representative who holds the identification and a written notarized authorization from the applicant. The name and passport number of the applicant and document number (driver’s license number or passport number) of the representative must be indicated in the authorization letter.


General Requirements for Spain Visas

Below is the list of general requirements for visa application. In applying for visa in Spain the following documents must be submitted plus other requirements depending on what visa you want to secure.

v      Passport valid for a minimum of six months and three photocopies of the personal information and photo page.

v      4 recent pictures, passport size.

v      Original marriage certificate.

v      Original certificate of good conduct issued by the police department of the city or cities where the applicant has spent 6 months or more in the last 5 years, with a translation into Spanish.

v      Original medical certificate typed on doctors stationary verifying that the applicant is free from the following quarantine diseases: yellow fever, cholera, and the plague. The certificate must also certify that the applicant is free of drug addictions and mental illness, with a translation into Spanish.

v      Original Medical Insurance that will cover you in Spain.



It is also necessary to submit two (2) photocopies of all the documents.


Investors and Self-employment Visa

Investor and self-employment visa is for people who work online with a foreign source of income.


Aside from the requirements mentioned above, applicants must also present copy of the Work Authorization Application (Solicitud de Permiso de Trabajo) filed with the Ministry of Labor in Spain and one photocopy. This document must be submitted at this Consulate General within thirty (30) days from the date stamped by the Ministry of Labor in Spain.


Student Visa for Spain

Students who wish to study in Spain must secure first this visa to be able to enter in Spain and pursue their studies for more than three months. Aside from the general required documents mentioned above, they will also need to submit:


v      3 filled out Schengen visa application forms, signed at the bottom of the back page.

v      Proof of admission to a Spanish academic center as a full-time student from the Spanish center or from the U.S. program as well as transcripts from your current studies.

v      Proof of financial means for the period of study in Spain. Proof could be:

v      Letter from the institution organizing the studies indicating that tuition and living expenses have been paid in advance or the organization is fully responsible for them.

v      Notarized letter of parents/guardians assuming financial responsibility while student is in Spain for at least $1000 per month.

v      Three last statement of student´s bank account with a minimum balance of $1000 per month of stay in Spain or $1000 worth of travellers checks per month of stay in Spain.

v      If the student is under 18 years of age, the student should present a notarized letter of authorization from the parents.


Work-exempt Visa for Spain

If you apply for a residence visa in Spain, you may not need to asked for a work permit. except for the general requirements, you have to submit the following:


v      Documents which verify that the organization in Spain is accredited by the appropriate governmental authorities in Spain.

v      Proof of receiving a grant, if applicable.


Retirement Visa

The retirement visa allows the holder to stay in Spain as a retiree without working. Aside from the requirements mention above, the following documents must also be submitted upon application of the visa:


v      Original certificate of a public or private institution certifying that you receive a pension, specifying its monthly amount.

v      Proof of any other source of income and/or properties in Spain (The annual minimum is $10,000 increased by $1,700 for each dependant).



If you own any property in Spain you must bring Original proof of ownership.



Upon your arrival, a medical insurance will be asked from you to assure that you will be a drain for the Spanish public medical system.


Non-lucrative Visa

Non-lucrative visa us use by people who can afford to stay in Spain even without obatining a job here. Aside for the general requirements, you will also need:


v      Proof of sufficient financial resources (Bank accounts in Spain or the United States, investments, annuities, and any other source of income) totaling a minimum of $75,000.00 annually. If stocks or partnerships are owned in one or several companies, it must be specified that no funds are derived from direct labor activity in these companies.


Family Reunification Visa for Spain

After having your residence visa in your passport, you still have three months (90 days) have to go to the nearest Oficina de Extranjeros and submit the following:


v      Solicitud de Tarjeta en Regimen Comunitario form

v      Passport (2 photocopies)

v      3 passport-sized photos

v      Medical certificate

v      If a member of the family is Spanish (or has residency ): your Libro de Familia, DNI (or Residency Card) of that family member, Empadronamiento, and medical insurance.


For someone who’ll secure work: a contract of employment


For self-employed: documents that prove you fulfill the requirements necessary to undertake that activity.


For someone who won’t be working: documents that prove you have enough money to live during your time in Spain, plus medical insurance.


For student: proof of matriculation in an accredited school, plus the requirements of the previous item.


Resident Card is proccesed by Oficina de Extranjeros locally, if you want to get it done fast, then you should try to apply it in small town.




Related Articles
Reader Comments
thomas cook do a wedding pagcake also.first choice - Ariff
well can we stay there - Mahshad
Add your own comment >>