The Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) is most authorized agency to evaluate and verify the credentials pertaining to the education, registration and licensure of foreign educated nurses and healthcare professionals worldwide.
There are two main programs that are offered by the CGFNS; CGFNS Certification Program (CP) and the CGFNS Credentials Evaluation Service (CES). These programs are mainly required by the US Board of Nursing before nurses can obtain a license to practice their profession in the US.
The CGFNS Certificate Program
The CGFNS Certificate Program is design for first level registered nurses who are eligible to practice as registered nurses in the US but earned their degree outside US. It has three parts that includes:
• Verification and Evaluation of education and licensure
• Qualifying Exam of nursing knowledge
• English language proficiency examination
Verification and Evaluation of education and licensure
CGFNS certifies that you are a first-level, general (Registered) nurse (as defined historically by the International Council of Nurses) by evaluating your education and registration/license.
Qualifying Exam of Nursing Knowledge
The Qualifying Exam is a one-day test of your nursing knowledge. It is a paper and pencil exam that is given in two parts. Part One in the morning and Part Two in the afternoon.
An English Language Proficiency Examination: TOEFL, TOEFL iBT, TOEIC, or the Academic Module of IELTS
An English language proficiency examination is taken to determine your proficiency in the English language. The following examinations have been approved to meet the English language proficiency requirement:
• Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
• Test of English as a Foreign Language – Internet-based (TOEFL iBT)
• Test of English for International Communicators (TOEIC)
• International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (Academic Module)
How to Apply for CGFNS Certification Program
Here are the simple ways that might help you in applying for CGFNS Certification Program.
1. Complete an Application Form with appropriate fee. After the CGFNS received your application form they will send you an identification number and CGFNS Official Study Guide.
2. Prepare and send Request for Validation of Registration/License Forms to the licensing authority in your country of nursing education, and the licensing authority(ies) where you are currently registered/licensed. Prepare and send a Request for Academic Records Form to your School. The CGFNS will review your eligibility after receiving all required documents. Then they will notify eligible and ineligible applicants of status.
3. Register with the examining institution for the English proficiency exam.
4. Request English proficiency exam results be forwarded to CGFNS.
5. Prepare for the CGFNS Qualifying Exam and English proficiency exam. The CGFNS notifies eligible applicants of date and location of CGFNS Qualifying Exam.
6. Take the CGFNS Qualifying Exam and English proficiency exam. CGFNS notifies you of Qualifying Exam results.
According to the CGFNS applicants who complete their application online is an advantage in speeding up the process. For more details and online application visit the CGFNS website at www.cgfns.org.
Watch out for CGFNS Credentials Evaluation Service (CES)...