Work and live abroad is a complete resource for those wanting to work abroad or live abroad. We provide overseas job openings, immigration information, legal advice and country guides.
Receive updates on working and living abroad
Live Abroad

Jan 14, 2008
How to Acquire Thailand Visa
- Maria Theresa S. Samante Email this article

Do you want to work or just travel in Thailand? Do you want to enjoy the tropical climate in Thailand? Or want to visit the different destination of the country? Well, you must acquire visit to be able to enter here.


This article would help you how to acquire a Thailand visa and which visa should you need. This would give you ideas of what documents you must submit and fees you need to settle.


Types of Visas

There are three types of visa according to the purpose of your visit in Thailand, non-migrant visa, tourist visa and transit visa.



This visa may require approval from the Ministry Concerns from Thailand in case by case and invitation letter from Thailand. The maximum days of stay non-immigrant visa holders is 90 days, you can apply for extension of stay in Thailand if you wish.


The non-migrant visa is use for business and conference, research, mass media or missionary, education, teaching, family reunion, settlement after retirement and medical treatment.


Business and conference - It requires a business letter, with the letter head, stating the purpose of visit, also included name of company, organization or mission and address in Thailand.


Research, mass media or missionary it requires a letter, with letter head, from company, agency or organization sending you on your mission, and also the letter from your counterpart in Thailand and proof of verification of the institution.


Education it requires a letter, with the letter-head, from educational institution in Thailand and a school establishment permit.


Teaching it requires a letter, with the letter-head, from educational institution in Thailand, a school establishment permit and verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record from the country of his/her nationality or residence) .


Family Reunion it requires marriage or birth certificates and proof of Thai citizen.


Settlement after retirement it requires proof of retirement and financial support.


Medical Treatment it requires letter from licensed doctor.



The tourist visa is use for pleasure purpose only and it requires a copy of airtime ticket or itinerary. This visa is valid for a maximum stay of 60 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand.



Transit visa is valid for a maximum stay of 30 days and the extension of stay may be applied in Thailand.


Transit it requires proof of confirmed onward ticket to a Third country.


Sports or Crew it requires a letter from organization concerned and invitation letter from Thailand.



Before you can acquire a visa, the following requirements must be submitted:

  1. Current Passport or Travel Document with validity not less than 6 months.
  2. One completed and signed application form.
  3. Two passport-size photographs (2"x2") (Photostat or Photocopy will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months.
  4. For a non-US citizen, proof of permanent resident alien card or valid US visa with employment verification letter will be required.
  5. Holder of Travel Document or national passport from Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, the Middle East countries, and the Socialist countries are required to submit with additional requirements


v      If submitting application in person, processing fees are payable only in cash or money order.

v      If application is submitted by mail, please pay by money order to the Royal Thai Embassy only.

v      When submitting application by mail, a self-addressed envelope size 6"x9" or large enough to fit all passports with sufficient postage stamps is required. Metered stamps will not be accepted. Please also include a 41-cent stamp for the cost of previously mailed application form to applicant. Applicant may have their visa mailed by choosing one of the following options:

o        $16.25 in postage for a next-day express mail (and additional 41-cent stamp for the cost of previously mailed form). Please include self address mailing label if possible.

o        $3.40 in postage, depending on weight, for certified mail (and an additional 17-cent stamp)

o        Federal Express, UPS or DHL with account number (do not accept credit card)


Additional requirements

v      3 photographs for Travel Document holder

v      5 photographs for the holder passport of Cambodia and Vietnam

v      Proof of confirmed round-trip ticket and itinerary

v      For a non-U.S. citizen, proof of permanent resident alien card or valid US visa with employment verification letter

v      Proof of Financial, such as a bank statement showing personal savings or checking account

v      A personal bio-data of applicant(s) since leaving country of birth or refugee camp. (For the person who is former nationality from Lao, Vietnam, Cambodia only)

v      Proof of hotel accommodation or place which an applicant desires to stay

v      Reference of a person with address in Thailand

v      Reference of a person with address of the country where an applicant will plan to visit next.


What are the fees you need to pay?


Non-immigrant visa......USD60,000 per entry and USD150 per multiple entries

Tourist visa...................US $30.00 per entry

Transit visa...................US $25.00 per entry


For information on application for extension of stay, please see the website of the Immigration Bureau at



Related Articles
Reader Comments
Add your own comment >>