Work and live abroad is a complete resource for those wanting to work abroad or live abroad. We provide overseas job openings, immigration information, legal advice and country guides.
Receive updates on working and living abroad
Live Abroad

Jul 13, 2007
Alternatives for Entering USA
- Carmela Bignotia Email this article

There are still many opportunities for foreign workers who want to wok in the US. The labor market of USA still needs foreign workers to fill the labor shortage of several industries.


However, the H1-b visa limit that was rapidly reached this year serves as a very big barrier for all who wants to work and live in USA. For this reason, foreign workers need to look for alternatives to be able to enter and work legally in USA. The following are some suggestions. Be reminded that it is recommended to get the expert advice of an immigration lawyer.


H-2B Visa: Non-professional foreign worker except agricultural workers can apply for the H-2B Visa. This type of visa allows one to stay in USA for one year and is only available for jobs that is temporary in nature. The H-2B visa can be extended for up to three years.

H-3 Visa: Foreigners who want to undergo training in the
USA, which is not available in their country, uses this type of visa.


L-1 Visa: For companies, which have offices in USA and abroad, they can transfer their employees to USA by using the L-1 visa. The visa is valid for up to seven years. The employee must be employed in the company for at least 12 months. Holders of L-1 visa can apply for a Green Card after one year.

EB-2 Visa: This type of visa is available for those with masteral or doctoral degree. The advanced degrees should have been obtained in the
USA or overseas. For those with a bachelors degree and years of work experience in their field may also apply for EB-2 visa. This visa may lead to a Green Card.

TN Visa: This visa is for Mexican and Canadian citizens. The applicant must be practicing a profession that meets the requirements of the Visa. The Visa is valid for one year at a time, can be extended for a number of years, and can lead to a Green Card

E-2 Visa: Nationals of treaty countries whose purpose is to invest and participate in different
US business activities uses E-2 visa. The E-2 Visa can be renewed for an indefinite period and can have tax benefits, but does not lead to a Green Card.

R Visa: Individuals who will enter USA to serve a religious organization in either a clergy or a lay capacity use the R Visa. The religious organization must have a bona fide nonprofit religious organization in the US. This Visa can lead to a Green Card.

Related Articles
Reader Comments
Add your own comment >>