Work and live abroad is a complete resource for those wanting to work abroad or live abroad. We provide overseas job openings, immigration information, legal advice and country guides.
Receive updates on working and living abroad
Study Abroad

May 25, 2007
Travel through Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP)
- Carmela Bignotia Email this article

Going out of the country to experience living overseas is now regarded as a wonderful learning experience. The good news is that this opportunity is now open and available to American youths. A program called Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP) allows US citizens between the ages of 18 and 30 to travel and work in Canada for six months. The students can get a job through various industries that hire part time or seasonal workers like in retail, clerical and hospitality/tourism industry.


The SWAP program works with student travel agencies that assist applicants to obtain student job in Canada through SWAP. A program registration fee is required and it costs USD 250 (travel costs not included). However, the agency does not guarantee student jobs. A Canadian work visa is required.


Requirements for Eligibility

  • US citizen (18 to 30 years old)
  • Currently enrolled in an accredited high school or university
  • Students currently on a study abroad/semester abroad trip away from campus, are still qualified for SWAP

The SWAP program does not provide accommodation and sure employment in Canada. Nonetheless, there are agencies that provide assistance like the SWAP Canada Hosting Centers in Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal.


To know more about Canadaís SWAP program, click here:



Related Articles
Reader Comments
This is my first time we visit here. I discovered - Yotam
Add your own comment >>