Work and live abroad is a complete resource for those wanting to work abroad or live abroad. We provide overseas job openings, immigration information, legal advice and country guides.
Receive updates on working and living abroad
Live Abroad

Sep 14, 2006
Work and Live in US
- Maria Theresa S. Samante Email this article

Almost everyone dreamed to work and live in the rich and famous country of the United States of America. Although the country minimize hiring foreign workers to give chances to US workers, U.S. Department of Labor's (DOL) Employment and Training Administration (ETA) also allow US employers to employ foreign workers provided that there are insufficient qualified US workers are willing to get the job.


How to Enter in the US

There are different types of labor certifications for permanent and temporary employment issued by Department of Labor for foreign workers who want to work in the US. Said labor certifications are as follows:


v      Permanent Labor Certification

v      H-1B Specialty (Professional) Workers

v      H-1C Nurses in Disadvantaged Areas

v      H-2A Temporary Labor Certification (Seasonal Agricultural)

v      H-2B Temporary Labor Certification (Non-agricultural)

v      D-1 Crewmembers Certification


These foreign labor certification programs allows US employer to hire foreign workers on a temporary or permanent basis to occupy jobs that are essential to the US economy. Provided that the employer can prove that no qualified US workers are available and willing to accept the work at wages that meet or exceed the prevailing wage paid for that occupation in the area of intended employment.


Foreign labor certification programs are designed to assure that foreign workers who will enter and work in the US on a permanent or temporary basis will not adversely affect the job opportunities, wages, and working conditions of US workers.


Job Opening in the US

In-demand jobs in the US mainly focus in teaching, medical, and services jobs.



v      Nurse Staff

v      Therapist



v      Attendant House

v      Commis IV General

v      Cook Prep

v      Utility Universal

v      Server Counter




Migrant workers salary in the US depends with what type of visa you are holding.

H-1B and H-1B1 Specialty (Professional) Workers must be paid the higher of the prevailing wage (average wage paid to similarly employed workers in the occupation in the area of employment) or the actual wage paid by the firm to workers with similar skills and qualifications.


H-2A Agricultural Workers must be paid the highest of the

v      Adverse Effect Wage Rate (AEWR)

v      the prevailing rate for a given crop/area or

v      the federal or state minimum wage


The prevailing wage rate means the average wage paid to similarly employed workers in the requested occupation in the area of intended employment. It can be obtained by contacting the State Workforce Agency (SWA) who have the jurisdiction over the geographic are of intended employment or from other legitimate sources of information.


The law also required employers to shoulder meals and transportation of workers and restricts the deductions that may be legally made from workers' wages.


H-2B Non-agricultural Workers must be paid the prevailing wage (average wage paid to similarly employed workers in the occupation in the area of employment).


D-1 Crewmembers (longshore work) must be paid the prevailing wage (average wage paid to similarly employed workers in the occupation in the area of employment).


Permanent Employment of Aliens - employer must agree to offer and pay the prevailing wage, determined in accordance with one of several options under the regulation, from the time permanent residency is granted or the alien is admitted to the United States to take the position.

Related Articles
Reader Comments
Add your own comment >>