Work and live abroad is a complete resource for those wanting to work abroad or live abroad. We provide overseas job openings, immigration information, legal advice and country guides.
Receive updates on working and living abroad
Travel Abroad

Dec 8, 2005
Visas for Working in Australia
- Karen Cenidoza (ed. By J. Agacer) Email this article

Australia has recently advertised their need for thousands of workers – from medical-related jobs such as doctors and nurses to trade-related jobs such as production, machinery, etc.


To overcome the skill shortages of the Australian workforce, the Australian government initiated a program called Skilled Migration Program which will help in determining the individuals who can help boost Australia’s economy. This means lots of people from different parts of the country could go there to work.


But wait, several things must be accomplished first before getting a job in Australia.


Non-Australians must first acquire a working visa. Under the Skilled Migration Program, there are five main visa subclasses: 


1. Skilled Independent Visa – granted to qualified applicants who do not have a family sponsor in Australia


2. Family Sponsored Visa – this type of visa is divided into two subclasses.  Applicants who have a close relative Australian citizen or permanent resident may applying using either of the two subclasses:

    • Skilled-Australian Sponsored Visa – A close family relative living anywhere in Australia can sponsor the applicant using this type of subclass. Using this type, the applicant will gain extra points in the Points Test.
    • The Skilled-Designated Area Sponsored Visa – Applicants may use this type of subclass if the close family relative who will sponsor the applicant is living in a regional, rural or low population growth area of Australia.  The difference is that  you will not gain points in the Points Test here.

3. Skilled Overseas Student Visa - There are visa subclasses for overseas students studying in Australia, which allow them to remain in Australia and apply for Onshore Skilled Migration. They can apply independently or with sponsorship but if they have finished their studies, it is advisable that they apply for a visa within six (6) months of the completion of the course to qualify for bonus points. 


4. Onshore New Zealand Citizen Visa – New Zealanders can also apply for an Australian visa either independently or with family sponsorship. 


5. Skilled Independent Regional Visa – this provisional visa was introduced last year to encourage a more balanced distribution of skilled migrants in Australia and to deal with the skill shortages in the regional areas of Australia.


Upon knowing the types of visa that can be used when working in Australia, the applicant should determine which type of visa he qualifies for. The Australian embassy, then, assures successful applicants that they will be able to live and work in Australia using this temporary visa for three years. However, if the applicant has remained in the designated regional areas of Australia for two years, he may qualify to apply for a permanent resident visa to stay in Australia permanently; the decision is just in the applicant’s hands.



Source: Australian Immigration

Related Articles
Reader Comments
Yea Katie & Reid!! I am so excited for this inclid - Rain
Well, I am so excited for you guys but sad for us! - Messi
hello . i am a lebanese guy who is a fresh graduat - Johny
Add your own comment >>