Work and live abroad is a complete resource for those wanting to work abroad or live abroad. We provide overseas job openings, immigration information, legal advice and country guides.
Receive updates on working and living abroad
Live Abroad

Aug 23, 2005
H-1B Visa Numbers Gone
- Atty. Reuben S. Seguritan Email this article

As we have discussed in previous articles, the H-1B visa is subject to a yearly  cap.  The USCIS reached the cap on August 10, 2005, so no more new petitions will be accepted until April of 2006. Last year, the numbers ran out on October 1, 2004. 


Congress provided a bit of relief by setting aside an additional 20,000 H-1B visas for workers who obtained a Masterís degree in the U.S.  This, in essence, freed up an additional 20,000 H-1B visas.  But even this increase is not enough to sustain the demand.  Of the 20,000 Masterís degree or higher H-1B visas, approximately 12,000 remain available. 


What does it mean when the H-1B cap is reached?

This means that if an employer is planning to petition a worker for change of status to H-1B (for example, from student status to H-1B), and the petition has not been filed with the USCIS when the cap is met, the change of status cannot be granted. 


If I get an October 1, 2005 start date, will I be able to remain in the U.S. legally?

You will only be able to remain in the U.S. if the previous status you were admitted in was valid until October 1, 2005.  For example, if you entered as a tourist and your I-94 card states that your status was valid until October 1, 2005 or later, then you would be able to remain in the U.S.  You will not be allowed to work until October 1, 2005, and only if you were granted a change of status as well.


For students who are changing status to H-1B, the situation may be different.  In the past, the legacy INS passed a regulation allowing students who just graduated to remain in the U.S. and start working on October 1.  It is unknown if the USCIS will provide the same benefit this time. 


What is the difference between Change of Status and an Approved Petition?

The H-1B is a petition submitted by an employer on behalf of an employee.  It basically entails two requests. First, it requests that the USCIS approve its position as an H-1B occupation.  Second, if the employee is in the U.S. in another status, it requests that the employeeís status be changed to H-1B.


When the cap is reached, the USCIS can still approve the first portion, but it does not have authority to approve the change of status since there are no H-1B visas available.  In this scenario, the USCIS typically issues an approval of the H-1B petition portion with a validity period beginning on October 1, 2006.  It does not grant a change of status. 


I am in H-1B status now and I have filed an extension or I will be filing an extension.  Will I be in danger of missing the cap?  Will I go out of status?

No.   The H-1B cap only applies to new H-1B petitions.  If an employee is already in H-1B status and is being petitioned by the same employer or even a new employer, that employee is not subject to the cap. 


I am not in H-1B status now.  There is an employer who is willing to sponsor me.  What should I do with the cap end approaching?

Because the cap is met, you cannot obtain H-1B status. You should consult a lawyer to discuss alternatives.  


I have an H-1B petition processing under the USCISís normal processing.  Itís not fair that those who pay premium processing can file after me and take my H-1B visa number.  Is there anything I can do?

You can always convert a regular processing case to a premium processing case.  The CIS has stated in the past that it will halt premium processing cases as the cap nears its end.  This is supposed to keep those who file later from taking numbers from those who filed earlier.   The CIS has also stated that if it has accepted a petition, it has already allocated a number to that petition.  So, there should be no risk in obtaining a number.


I have a masterís degree from the Philippines.  Can I get an H-1B through the advanced degree H-1B numbers?

No.  The additional 20,000 numbers are only available to those who obtained their advanced degree in the U.S.


I have a masterís degree earned in the U.S. in a different field than my H-1B position.  For example, I have a masterís degree from UCLA in history and a B.S. in Computer Engineering from the Philippines, and I will be working as a software engineer.  Can I get the advanced degree H-1B?

Yes.  The USCIS has stated that the advanced degree to qualify for the separate 20,000 H-1B visa category does not need to be in offered field of employment.


Practitioners across the United States have been closely monitoring the H-1B visa cap numbers.  Now that the numbers have expired, alternative visa categories must be explored. For many in the U.S. it may mean returning to their home country to wait for filing an H-1B in April 2006 in order to start work in October 2006.



Author's Note:  The analysis and suggestions offered in this column do not create a lawyer-client relationship and are not a substitute for the individual legal research and personalized representation that is essential to every case. 

 Atty. Reeves has represented clients in numerous landmark immigration cases that have set new policies regarding INS action and immigrants' rights.  His many successes have been published in Interpreter Releases, Immigration Briefings and AILA Monthly which are nationally recognized immigration periodicals widely read by immigration lawyers, State Department and immigration officials.  His cases are also cited in test books as a guide to other immigration practitioners.  His offices are located in Pasadena, San Francisco, Beijing and Makati City.  Telephone: (2) 759-6777 E-mail: Website:

Related Articles
Reader Comments
Add your own comment >>