Work and live abroad is a complete resource for those wanting to work abroad or live abroad. We provide overseas job openings, immigration information, legal advice and country guides.
Receive updates on working and living abroad
Work Abroad

Aug 5, 2005
Working in Canada (Part II)
- Joyce Anne Agacer Email this article

Here are the different Job Specializations in Canada:




Engineering is a regulated profession in Canada; it is illegal to practice as an engineer or to call oneself an "engineer" without being licensed as a full member in a provincial or territorial association. These associations are responsible for determining entry requirements and for issuing licenses to qualified individuals.

  • Electrical Engineer
  • Chemical Engineer
  • Mechanical Engineer
  • Civil/Environmental Engineer
  • Petroleum Engineer
  • Computer Engineer



Most trades in Canada are regulated and require provincial certification. In the case of Red Seal Trades, some provinces and territories have jointly agreed on certification standards.

  • Carpenter
  • Plumber
  • Electrician
  • Mechanic
  • Welder



Careers in business and finance are not regulated in Canadian legislation, but most require a bachelor's degree, advanced degree, or diploma in business administration or commerce, as well as eligibility for membership in a provincial association (i.e. association of chartered accountants, association of management consultants, etc.)

  • Accountant/Auditor
  • Financial and Investment Analyst
  • Education

Teachers at both the elementary and secondary school levels are regulated in Canada. Requirements are determined by provincial and territorial regulatory bodies. In most cases, teachers will require a bachelor's degree and a provincial teaching certificate.


Teaching at the college or university level is not regulated; recognition of credentials obtained outside of Canada is usually left to the discretion of the institution to which you are applying. Those wishing to teach at the post-secondary level will normally require one or more graduate degrees and a proven teaching and publishing record.

  • Elementary School and Kindergarten Teacher
  • Secondary (High) School Teacher
  • College or Vocational Instructor
  • University Professor
  Page  1 2 3

Related Articles
Reader Comments
Add your own comment >>